Choosing a wedding photographer is one of the most important decisions you will make for your big day. Your wedding photos will be the lasting memories of your celebration, so you want to make sure you hire a professional who can capture your vision and style. But how do you find the perfect wedding photographer for you? Here are some tips to guide you through the process.
1. Know your budget. Wedding photography prices can vary widely depending on the experience, location, and packages of the photographer. You should have a clear idea of how much you can afford to spend on your wedding photos before you start looking for photographers. The average wedding photography cost in the UK is £1800 for a sole wedding photographer, but you can expect to pay more for experienced and reputable photographers or for destinations that require travel costs. To get the best value for your money, look for packages that include both photography and film or pre-wedding engagement photos
2. Decide your vision. Before you start browsing through wedding photographers' portfolios, you should have a general idea of what kind of photos you want for your wedding. Do you prefer a traditional, formal, or candid style? Do you want a lot of posed shots or more natural ones? Do you want your photos to be bright and colorful or dark and moody? Having a clear vision of your desired style will help you narrow down your options and find photographers who match your aesthetic.
3. Consider their style. Once you have a shortlist of potential photographers, you should look through their portfolios and see if you like their work. A good way to do this is to look at a whole album of a wedding they shot, not just the highlights. This will give you a sense of how they capture the story of the day, how they handle different lighting conditions, and how consistent they are with their quality and style. You should also pay attention to how they edit their photos, as this can make a big difference in the final result.
4. Read reviews. You can read online reviews from other couples who have hired the same photographer and see what they liked and disliked about their service. Reviews can also give you an insight into the personality and professionalism of the photographer, which are important factors to consider.
5. Meet them in person. Once you have narrowed down your choices to a few photographers, you should arrange to meet them in person or have a video call with them. This will give you a chance to get to know them better, ask them any questions you have, and see if you have a good rapport with them. You should feel comfortable and relaxed with your wedding photographer, as they will be with you throughout your wedding day. You should also ask to see some of their recent work and discuss your expectations and preferences with them.
6. Compare their packages and contracts. Before you make your final decision, you should compare the packages and contracts of the photographers you are considering. You should look at what is included and what is not, such as the number of hours, the number of photos, the delivery time, the printing rights, the backup plan (this one's really important), and the cancellation policy. You should also check if there are any hidden fees or extra charges that you need to be aware of. You should make sure you understand everything in the contract and that you are happy with the terms and conditions.
7. Book them early. Once you have found your dream wedding photographer, you should book them as soon as possible. Wedding photographers can get booked up quickly, especially during peak seasons, so you don't want to miss out on having them for your big day, to give you an idea as if writing this on January 5th we only have 10 spots left for this year with most of the summer dates gone and are already 50% booked for 2025.
Booking early will also give you more time to plan and prepare for your wedding photos, such as choosing your locations, outfits, and poses. You should also keep in touch with your photographer and update them on any changes or details that may affect your wedding photos.
Choosing a wedding photographer may seem like a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be. By following these tips, you can find a wedding photographer who can capture your big day in a way that reflects your personality and style. Remember, your wedding photos are more than just images, they are the memories of one of the most special days of your life, so choose wisely and enjoy the process.
We're currently in the off season so have more down time than usual as with all wedding photographers 80% of our years work is condensed into 6 months, if any of our prospective couples would like a no obligation zoom call to talk through what a days wedding photography would look like, myself or Courtney would be be more than happy to book that in for you we've got loads of helpful tips for both planning and enjoying the day and are happy to share them freely.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Richard - LUX